How to Write a Newspaper Article
Follow this step by step guide to a good article:
- Decide what your article will be about.
- Research the topic of your article.
- Write your article using the template below.
First paragraph: In the first few sentences, answer
- Grab the reader's attention by using an opening sentence which is a question or something unexpected!
- Now, give the details. It is always a good idea to include one or two quotes from people you interviewed. Write in the third person (he, she, it or they). Be objective. Use active verbs so the reader feels things are really happening!
- Last paragraph: Round off your article. Try ending with a quote or a catchy phrase!
- By-line: At the end, state who wrote the article; 'By ....'.
- Decide where appropriate illustrations/pictures will be placed.
- Proof-read your article and edit where needed.
- Spell check your article!
To start you off we have created a template. Click on the links at the bottom of the page to open them. You can change the template, add extra columns and type in your article.